From inception through to completion, we have a proven track record and internationally recognised reputation for drafting and advising on construction agreements and mechanical, civil and process engineering contracts (such as NEC, JCT and IChemE), as well as associated documents including development agreements, professional appointments, collateral warranties, guarantees, sureties and bonds. Our expertise also encompasses all associated dispute resolution processes such as adjudication, litigation, arbitration, mediation, commercial settlement and expert determination.
We understand that construction and engineering projects are inherently complex, involving high levels of risk. You continue to face challenges relating to raw material costs, product regulation, decreasing labour availability and a lack of external investors, on top of the day-to-day project challenges.
At DWF, our clients trust us to provide assistance, advice and practical solutions, as well as the very best, market-leading expertise in relation to specialist dispute resolution, contract drafting and advice. We work alongside a range of clients including employers, contractors and consultants.
We draw on specialist sector expertise, from across the firm, in areas including, in particular, nuclear, renewables, oil and gas, utilities, railways, roads and bridges, ports and harbours, retail, education and residential projects. This specialist expertise covers a wide range of domestic and international projects such as power generation, chemical facilities, civil engineering, infrastructure works, sports stadiums, heritage projects, ports, airports, industrial plant & machinery, PFI schemes, solar installation, commercial development, higher and further education projects, heavy engineering and process engineering expertise and large-scale residential/commercial developments.
How we do it
With one of the largest legal teams specialising in this area we use our experience and industry knowledge to deliver the results you need in the timescales you need them. We make it our business to ensure we understand your goals from the start of each project. We work hard to ensure our advice is relevant, practical and tailored, from day one.
Everything we do is tailored to meet your needs, and supported by a cost-effective pricing package. We understand that traditional charging systems might not be appropriate and that’s why we offer a wide range of alternative funding, as well as tools (such as the use of precedent documents) to drive down costs, where possible, without sacrificing expertise.
Most importantly, we believe that successful projects are grounded in strong client relationships. What sets us apart is our commitment to clear information and direct lines of communication. We make sure you have the full service team available to you, at all times. Unlike some other firms, we won’t limit your contact or involvement to key individuals. We think it’s important that you have access to the right people, across the firm, when you need them – whether they’re junior or senior members of your team. We want you to feel we are a complete team, working as an extension of your business.
- Our team are real specialists, having worked on some of the largest projects in the country in recent years including Edinburgh Trams, the Olympics and the nuclear new build program.
- DWF’s client base ranges from small businesses to international property developers seeking advice on everything from minor works within the UK to international construction and engineering projects.
- We have developed a number of products which can be used to assist in making transactions flow smoothly.These include:
- dwf pinpoint is a cloud-based software package that lets you manage multiple assets and contracts in one place. You can log in from anywhere, and share information with colleagues or potential buyers as well as creating insightful reports.
- dwf precedents reflect legislative changes as well as responding to industry challenges.We use these to not only underpin new documents but to ensure your existing portfolio is kept up to date.
- dwf draft for ease of drafting leases and licence is often inefficient, repetitive and time-consuming. DWF Draft allows our lawyers to quickly prepare suites of documents through the use of dynamic on-line questionnaires.
- We can call upon a wide range of expertise including property law and planning specialists and health and safety lawyers to provide a full legal advisory service.
- We recognise that construction and infrastructure projects require an increasingly international capability.We have a number of overseas offices and lawyers who are qualified in foreign jurisdictions and speak various languages.
- We play an active role within the industry and many of our specialist sector areas, with membership of the Society of Construction Law, Nuclear Institute, Nuclear Industry Association, Renewable Energy Association, International Nuclear Lawyers Association, UK District Energy Association, Renewables UK and Mersey Maritime.
- We support our clients by offering briefings and updates on market changes, training and networking opportunities. We also host seminars, both in our offices as well as in-house for clients.
Our Construction and Infrastructure service includes:
Dispute Resolution - providing assistance to both claimant and defendant clients in all aspects of contentious work, including:
- Expert determination
- Expertise before formal proceedings
- Updates and training on commercial and legal aspects of dispute avoidance
Contract Drafting & Advice
- Pre-contractual stages (such as structure and procurement advice).
- Negotiation and agreement of contracts (including main contracts, joint venture, development, project, concession, and maintenance agreements).
- Preparation of construction documentation including appointments, performance bonds, parent company guarantees, direct agreements, collateral warranties.
- Drafting and maintaining client documents to ensure they are compliant with relevant legislation and case law training on standard and bespoke forms of construction & engineering agreements.