ExperienceDavid is a solicitor admitted to the Roll and practicing in England and Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. He has extensive experience dedicated specifically to working in the construction, engineering and energy sectors. David has headed up a core construction team in charge of numerous NEC3/4, JCT, FIDIC, PWC, IChemE and ICE contract disputes. David has been involved in numerous adjudications, mediations, arbitrations and assisting clients in negotiating settlements as client lead or as part of a wider team.
David specialises in the NEC form of Contract, and has been seconded to public and private clients alike to assist in administering all forms of the NEC3 or NEC4. David has previously been the Course Leader for the Institution of Civil Engineers Law and Contract Management (NEC3/NEC4) courses throughout the UK and Ireland, currently running the course in London, as well as in-house for global engineering and consultancy practices.
David has worked with some of the UK and Ireland’s largest civil engineers and is currently involved in some of the largest infrastructure or major projects in the UK. David is retained to advise on all aspects of construction law, including contract drafting, contract management (NEC3, JCT, FIDIC and IChemE), negotiation of contracts, settlement of issues and full dispute resolution processes.
He is an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (AMICE).
David is also regularly invited to give guest talks and public seminars to various institutions, including the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Builders, the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors and the Institute of Engineers Ireland. David is also the Convenor of the Adjudication Society for Ireland.
- Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (AMICE)
- Convenor of the Adjudication Society for Ireland
- Affiliate Member of Construction Bar Association of Ireland
- Appointed as Mediator to broker settlement between Client (UK Council) and Consultant in relation to overspend and claims under NEC PSC (Option E).
- Acting for Contractor client, reviewing and negotiating NEC3 contracts for Hinckley Point C.
- Acting for Contractor client carrying out contract management role and contract negotiations for a bio-gas plant. Drafted and negotiated main and sub contracts with multinational (German) and domestic (Ireland and England) contractors and employers in multi party contract negotiations for the construction and operation of a bio-gas plant.
- Acting for Contractor client in adjudication, NEC3 Option B. Issues regarding disruption and prolongation and the assessment of no.58 compensation events.
- Acting for Contractor and seconded to Bahrain to work on loss & expense claim of $25mil. Involved in project advice in relation to oil & gas framework valuing $1.5billion. Drafting claim document and carrying out thorough risk assessment. Secondment on Site in Bahrain.
- Acting for Public Sector client in mediation/arbitration in professional indemnity claim. Issues regarding multi party liability and expert analysis.