Our specialists are experienced in supporting organisations to identify and address either general areas of concern within business operations or, more specifically, employee practices that may have given rise to allegations of fraud, corruption and or bribery.
In addition to avoiding the negative consequences of a criminal investigation, increasingly organisations are being asked by prospective customers/business partners to demonstrate those features of their internal governance designed to combat the risk of bribery and corruption. We work with businesses to develop this aspect of their operations, making it a commercial strength rather than a weakness.
How we do it
The current climate of detection and enforcement of bribery and corruption offences, means that this is now a real risk for individuals and corporates alike.
We understand that organisations need a tailored approach to managing the risks associated with bribery regulatory compliance.
Our experience and expertise in this field includes:
- Advising companies on the application of the Bribery Act to their Jurisdiction/Sector/Business Operations, adopting a risk-based commercial approach.
- Regularly reviewing companies' bribery compliance mechanisms and advising on additional improvements or wholescale redrafting and implementation of policies.
- Providing training, to all levels of the corporate structure, to support the corporate defence of demonstrating 'adequate procedures' to prevent bribery.
- Supporting detailed internal investigations into compliance arrangements, in particular identifying issues and recommending improvement actions.
- Advising corporates upon the advantages of 'self-reporting' issues in accordance with SFO/CPS guidance
- Representing companies/individuals in criminal investigations that might arise as a result of those practices.
Our specialists are known for their experience of where issues commonly arise, combined with an in depth understanding of criminal enforcement, to deliver practical solutions.
A practical sector understanding
As part of one of the largest, market-leading law firms, we’re able to bring a particular strength and understanding across our core sectors. With experience working with organisations in the construction & infrastructure, energy, financial services, food, healthcare, hospitality & leisure, industrials, insurance, police & prison, public sector, real estate, retail, technology & communications and transport sectors, we apply our practical understanding of how relevant issues affect your business.
This commitment to understanding our clients leads to commercially-driven advice, allowing you to determine the best places to invest resources to most effectively mitigate the risks faced.
Key work in this area includes:
- Advising a public body upon an internal investigation into procurement practices following an expose in the national press.
- Advice to a company in respect of self-reporting process spanning activities in multiple jurisdictions and multiple Regulators.
- Representing Company Directors in a Police Investigation into allegations of fraud, corruption and bribery.
- Structuring an internal investigation for a plc following concerns raised in respect of excessive corporate hospitality.
- Preparing a suite of UKBA compliance documents, including a detailed risk assessment, for an African based mining company.