Big litigation and dispute resolution
As successful defence solicitors on the first and largest Data Protection group litigation cases to hit the UK Courts, acting for Wm Morrison Supermarkets plc, and for British Airways plc, we can provide all clients with the confidence they need in class action situations and for the handling of mass claims. From initial 'pre-litigation' intimation of claims all the way through to representation in the Supreme Court.
Our support includes:
- Litigation strategy, including the development of approaches to address the litigation style of the claimant firm.
- Identification of litigation funding options and mechanisms.
- Streamlining litigation, so that the most problematic challenges are handled efficiently and in a cost-conscious manner.
- Helping to manage publicity, alongside PR and communications teams.
- Providing assistance with and working alongside parallel criminal investigations.
- Providing assistance with regulatory issues that may arise, such as handling inquiries from the Information Commissioner's Office and sectoral regulators, including abroad.
- The management of employee and customer impacts.
Regulatory investigations and enforcement actions
The legal frameworks for Data Protection and Cyber Security are highly and actively regulated, not just by the authorities appointed under legislation such as the GDPR and the Cyber Security Directive, but also by sector regulators, professional regulators and under Code of Conduct schemes.
We help our clients to navigate pathways through all kinds of engagements with their regulators and our track record includes acting on some of the leading enforcement cases for breaches of regulatory law.
Our support for clients includes:
- Making introductions into the regulatory system, through engagement with regulatory officers.
- Pre-clearance work, such as registrations, authorisations and approvals.
- Strategies for establishing and maintaining functions and offices that act as points of contact for the regulatory system, such as Data Protection Officers and EU Representatives.
- Assistance with the development of internal and cross-industry Codes of Conduct for compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Responses to regulatory and public consultations.
- Assistance with accountability obligations, including optimising the presentation of evidence.
- Advice and representation on all aspects of investigative processes and enforcement actions.