Andrew has deep and broad experience of insurance and reinsurance disputes in many jurisdictions across the London, Bermuda, continental Europe, Asia Pac and US markets.
His practice encompasses coverage, defence, subrogation and cyber breach response work. He has conducted litigation and arbitration proceedings across many jurisdictions including the above. Andrew advises a wide range of insurers including leading Lloyds syndicates and global insurance companies. He specialises in financial lines/classes of business including management liability, professional indemnity, W&I and cyber and has been recognised by clients as a leading lawyer in these classes (see testimonials below).
He has represented insurers in numerous management liability disputes arising from claims in the US, UK, Europe including Germany, involving major claims in the $100m to $2bn range. Over the last 15 years, Andrew has also advised on W&I coverage disputes including arbitration proceedings in London, continental Europe and Asia Pac. Andrew's has also long been recognised as a leading reinsurance lawyer. He has advised clients in the leading reinsurance major market disputes over the last 25 years.
Notably, Andrew has advised clients in the catastrophe event aggregation disputes in the aviation markets (loss of aircraft in the Gulf War, World Trade Center aviation losses) and major property/catastrophe losses (US hurricanes, Californian Wildfires, World Trade Center respiratory claims and COVID business interruption claims).
- "Andrew Symons is excellent with reps and warranties business – an industry leader.”
- “Andrew Symons – very experienced, has the ability to take the heat out of things”
- “Andrew Symons.. have all the qualities a client would look for... extremely knowledgeable, responsive and supportive – a pleasure to work with.”
- “Andrew Symons is extremely knowledgeable across multiple lines of insurance and reinsurance business. He is always willing to go above and beyond to provide assistance where needed.”
- “Andrew Symons is skilled at handling contentious coverage issues and claims defence, particularly on behalf of reinsurance companies. He has notable expertise in financial lines as well as cyber insurance policies."
- “He is experienced, proactive and organised.”
- “Andrew is a reliable lawyer who always provides clear and concise advice.”
- “Andrew is very detail-orientated and assured with a good depth of knowledge. He is also a safe pair of hands and very good on strategy.”
- "Andrew Symons possesses high-level experience. He is superb at strategising."
- "His counsel is greatly valued and he is a very calm lateral thinker."
- The Law Society of England and Wales.
- Insurance & Reinsurance Legacy Association.