- Case Insight: Directors Responsibilities – Effective Leadership in Health & Safety
R v Deco-Pak Ltd, Mike Hall and Rodney Slater - a Jury at Bradford Crown Court recently convicted Deco-Pak Ltd of Corporate Manslaughter following a fatal accident at its site in April 2017. RS, a Director, was acquitted of Gross Negligence Manslaughter and 'consenting and conniving' contrary to S.37 HSAWA. We took a closer look at the details in this article.
- Working at Height: Don't let a fall lead to a fine
Falls from height remain one of the biggest causes of workplace fatalities and major injuries in the UK. In this article we take a look at the considerations employers must make before asking an employee to work at height.
- The next chapter of Covid-19: What does it mean for employers?
We are at another crossroads with Covid-19 as we digest the Covid-19 Response: Living with Covid-19 government plan for removing legal restrictions in England and at the same time await the new public health guidance in place from 1 April 2022. Will the guidance bring any clarity? We wait to see. In this update we consider the key implications for employers.
- In the Spotlight: Increase in Magistrates' Sentencing Powers
In an attempt to tackle what the Government is referring to as a pandemic backlog in the court system, magistrates have been given increased sentencing powers. Read the full insight.
- In the Spotlight: Asbestos Management
The Work and Pensions Committee has suggested that the current asbestos regulations are insufficient and that the Government should commit to removing all asbestos from public and commercial buildings within 40 years. We took a closer look at the details in this article.
- In the Spotlight: Amendments to the PPE Regulations
On 6 April 2022, amendments to the PPE Regulations came into force. These changes are amendments to the original 1992 Regulations relating to Personal Protective Equipment ("PPE"). We take a look at what these are and what it means for employers and workers.
- School fined after teaching assistant injured in fall from height
- Two contractors sentenced after cable strike at substation | HSE Media Centre
- Chemical company fined after worker suffered burns | HSE Media Centre
- Engineering firm sentenced after fatal incident | HSE Media Centre
We hope you find this update useful. If you have any feedback, or to speak to a member of the team about any of the issues below, please contact Steffan Groch.