Jonathan specialises in defending all manner of claims against solicitors, accountants, experts and IFAs, as well as regulatory and disciplinary matters. He also advises on pure coverage disputes and professional minimum insurance terms.
He has particular expertise in resolving:
- Claims against accountants concerning audits (including of charities and Solicitors Accounts Rules), tax, employee incentives, corporate advice and transactions, accounts work, trusteeships, attorneys and bankruptcies/liquidations.
- Claims against solicitors concerning family proceedings (ancillary relief and children), probate, corporate transactions, failed litigation and property fraud.
- Claims against IFAs concerning a wide range of investments, Appointed Representatives/Registered Individuals and judicial review of FOS decisions.
- Regulatory and disciplinary investigations against accountants, IFAs and financial institutions, and their interaction with related civil claims.
- Claims against experts concerning advice in litigation.
- Actions by the SFO and HMRC against professionals.
- Complex coverage issues involving professionals and financial institutions, including the application of their relevant minimum insurance terms and with off-shore elements.
Jonathan contributes to client newsletters and co-edits DWF's publications about accountants' risks. He has spoken at client seminars, the IMC Professional Indemnity Forum Conference and at Infoline Complaints Management Forums.
Jonathan is ranked in the Legal 500 for Professional Negligence and Professional Discipline, described as "extremely knowledgeable, efficient, approachable and friendly" and noting his "really strong industry knowledge and client management skills" and "sound judgement and tactical awareness" (Legal 500, 2022).
Jonathan sits on DWF's Diversity & Inclusion Leadership Group, with responsibility for gender and parenting. He has spoken and blogged on these internally and externally.
(Legal 500, 2021) "Jonathan Hyde has excellent judgement and good client management skills"
(Legal 500, 2022) "Jonathan Hyde [has] really strong industry knowledge and client management skills"
(Legal 500, 2022)"Jonathan Hyde also has very sound judgement and tactical awareness"
(Legal 500, 2022) "Jonathan Hyde is extremely knowledgeable, efficient, approachable and friendly"
- Defending an international law firm in a claim over preparing a will, valued at over £4m.
- Defending an international law firm against a claim for over USD7bn arising out of allegedly negligent drafting of a contract.
- Defending a magic circle family law firm from a claim about settling child maintenance payments.
- Defending a Top 20 firm of accountants from a claim in excess of €60m arising out of their Solicitors Accounts Rules audits and related work for a London law firm.
- Defending two Top 20 firms of accountants in claims arising from cyber security breaches.
- Defending a company administrator in a claim for over £2m for alleged sale at an undervalue of the company's international broadcast rights.
- Defending the Insurers of an insolvent accountant against a claim by a celebrity for allegedly negligent tax advice valued at over £1.3m.
- Defending various accountants and IFAs in respect of claims arising out of tax mitigation schemes, e.g. film finance and carbon trading.
- Defending a Top 20 firm of accountants over a wide-ranging regulatory investigation concerning reserved probate work.
- Defending a Top 20 firm of accountants in regulatory proceedings over the conduct of an insolvency practitioner acting as trustee-in-bankruptcy.
- Advising on coverage for a claim against accountants concerning allegedly negligent tax advice, valued at over £1.5m.