Darren's practice extends across the fields of contract law, banking and finance, corporate and shareholder disputes, tax, professional negligence, asset tracing and enforcement. He is very experienced in commercial fraud disputes and regularly represents ultra-high net worth individuals, banks and businesses (often with links to Russia and the former Soviet Union) who have been the subject of fraud. Much of his practice has an international dimension and he is frequently instructed on complex jurisdiction and governing law disputes.
His team is ranked Tier 1 by Legal 500 and he has been described as "a real technical genius. By far the best commercial litigator that I have ever worked with", as well as having "an excellent sense of strategy – he can see where and when to apply pressure in order to maximise the prospects of success in a case and he has a talent for spotting the best points to gain traction with a judge. It inspires confidence to work with him" (Legal 500, 2021).
In a recent successful case involving alleged Russian corporate raiding (reiderstvo), the Judge commented: "This is a case which amply illustrates the importance of procedural rules in ensuring a fair trial and the best opportunity to deliver a just result between the parties. The persistence of the defendant's legal team in enforcing these procedures has made all the difference in this case. (And it goes without saying that this is also a tribute to the quality of the cross examination, backed up by a detailed analysis of the documents)" (Paralel Routs Ltd v Fedotov  EWHC 2656 (Ch)).
Darren has been involved in numerous injunctions including freezing injunctions, search and seizure and computer imaging orders, as well as anti-suit, restraint of trade, breach of confidentiality, delivery up and continued supply injunctions. He also acts as a supervising solicitor to oversee the carrying out of injunctive orders by other law firms.
He is also often involved in ground-breaking cases, creating new law, such as: Sony Computer Entertainment Ltd v RH Freight Services Ltd & ors  EWHC 302 (Comm); Hatzl & anr v XL Insurance Co Ltd  EWCA Civ 223; and Luton Hotel BPRA Property Fund LLP v The Commissioners for Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs  UKFTT 212 (TC).
Darren has significant experience of alternative dispute resolution. He has been involved in countless mediations and accepts instructions to act as an expert witness in expert determinations and early neutral evaluations. He has also acted as an expert for the Russian, US and Italian courts on matters of English law and he receives instructions from Big 4 accountancy practices and in-house lawyers to provide expert legal opinions.
- Expert opinion for the Russian Courts regarding the doctrine of loss of chance, in a $9 billion oil dispute
- $1.2 billion bank embezzlement / fraud in the former Soviet Union
- Co-ordination of proceedings in Russia, Guernsey, BVI and Cyprus worth $500 million regarding corporate raiding (reiderstvo)
- $500 million fraud LCIA arbitration between two Ukrainian and Russian billionaires regarding a partnership / joint venture
- $250m dispute in the LCIA regarding a loan agreement between a Russian bank and Cypriot fund
- $170m fraud dispute between two Russian tycoons regarding a joint business venture
- $100 million Yukos-related shareholders dispute between two Russian bankers over the ownership of 2 banks
- $50m personal guarantee dispute in the LCIA between a Dutch lender and Russian guarantor
- £26m claim against a Russian tycoon by a BVI company
- $25m claim between a World Bank entity and a listed Indian engineering company regarding the repayment of a loan relating to the purchase of oil rigs in Libya
- Striking out a claim to set aside a judgment on the grounds that it was allegedly procured by fraud, and obtaining a Civil Restraint Order
- The first-ever reported case in Europe as to the meaning of “defendant” for the purposes of the CMR
- Successfully applying for an expedited trial – with the trial taking place only 10 days after the claim was commenced – and succeeding on all issues at trial, concerning the sale of a vast property portfolio jointly held by 2 partners
- "Darren Kenny has a great strategic eye for where and when to apply pressure to win a case, combined with a relaxed and reassuring approach that makes him easy to work with." Legal 500, 2022
- "Darren Kenny is pragmatic and very good at finding clear and workable solutions to the complex procedural and technical issues that arise in large-scale litigation." Legal 500, 2022
- "Darren Kenny is a real technical genius. By far the best commercial litigator that I have ever worked with." Legal 500, 2021
- "Darren Kenny has an excellent sense of strategy – he can see where and when to apply pressure in order to maximise the prospects of success in a case and he has a talent for spotting the best points to gain traction with a judge. It inspires confidence to work with him." Legal 500, 2021
- "Darren Kenny earns praise for his cross-border litigation practice, regularly acting on behalf of clients from CIS jurisdictions and Russia. One interviewee describes him as "very thorough, commercially-minded and extremely hard-working." Chambers & Partners, 2021
- "Darren Kenny is well versed in acting for clients from Russia and the CIS jurisdictions, and his varied practice includes arbitration, shareholder disputes and misappropriation of funds. One interviewee appreciates that he is "very quick to respond, attentive to detail and delivers right on time," while another source highlights that he "has a calm and considerate way of approaching things." Chambers & Partners, 2020
- "Darren Kenny is great to work with. He is switched on, intelligent, builds excellent relationships and has a good range of experience." Legal 500, 2019
- "Darren Kenny regularly represents international clients in high-value cross-border litigation with a particular focus on Russia and the CIS jurisdiction. His practice encompasses all areas of international commerce, trade and finance. Interviewees report that he "has good technical knowledge, is extremely effective, and is focused on client service" and underline his strength in providing "strategic advice." Chambers & Partners, 2019
- "Practice head Darren Kenny is 'driven and client focused, taking an inventive and proactive approach in litigation to try to achieve the best outcome." Legal 500, 2018
- "Darren Kenny specialises in cross-jurisdictional litigation and international arbitration pertaining to all areas of international trade, commerce and finance. His practice extends to Russia and CEE. Sources contend that he is "thorough, practical, sensible in his approach and easy to work with as well"." Chambers & Partners, 2018
- "‘Particularly strong in litigation’, DWF’s team is jointly headed by Darren Kenny, who ‘has a great understanding of the commercial position of his clients and builds good client relationships’." Legal 500, 2017
- "Very dedicated and astute." Legal 500, 2017
- "Darren Kenny actively advises clients on cases involving Eastern European and Asian jurisdictions, assisting with cases in areas such as international trade, commerce and finance. Clients state: "He is meticulous, very user-friendly, straightforward and effective. I was very impressed"." Chambers and Partners, 2017
- "Darren Kenny is an extremely dedicated, bright and determined litigator." Legal 500, 2016
- "Darren Kenny has considerable experience handling cross-border litigation and arbitration. Sources admire his "excellent coordination of complex matters," adding that he is "meticulous and on top of all the paperwork; absolutely thorough and reliable"." Chambers and Partners, 2016
- "DWF's clients say Darren Kenny is experienced and commercially aware; he is also praised for his knowledge of disputes arising in the domestic and international carriage of goods by road" Legal 500, 2016
- "Very well prepared and thorough." Legal 500, 2015