Nigel has extensive trial experience, appearing many times in the Supreme and Appeal Courts of British Columbia and the Supreme Court of Yukon. He finds creative solutions for clients in claims involving anything from occupier’s liability to construction, and products liability to defamation. Nigel is passionate about educating clients, peers and trade groups on his areas of expertise.
He has run information sessions for RIMS, CBA, CDL and others on various topics. He has also provided free legal advice at Pro Bono Clinics operated by Access Justice.
Before becoming a lawyer, Nigel spent several years working and living in Japan and long-distance sailing. These days, most of his free time is taken up tinkering on motorcycles and boats and cheering on the Gunners.
- Called to the British Columbia Bar in 2000
- Called to the Alberta Bar in 2019
- Called to the Yukon Bar in 2014
- Past Chair, Products Liability Section, Canadian Bar Association, BC
- Past Chair, Insurance Law Section, Canadian Bar Association, BC
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association Class Action Section
- Legal Clinician, Western Canada Society to Access Justice
- Casses v Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 2016 BCSC 949: dismissal of defamation claims by surgeon against former patients.
- Gorman v Meghji, 2018 BCSC 1904: finding police officer in high-speed call mostly at fault for collision with driver leaving stop sign.
- Yukon v Norcope Enterprises, 2023 YKSC 17: construction defect claim over Whitehorse airport apron work.