Michael has appeared on behalf of clients in British Columbia Provincial and Supreme Courts, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, in Federal Court, and in a variety of administrative tribunals. He has effectively resolved matters involving vessel and motor carrier collisions, marina fires, cargo claims, helicopter crashes, ship and aviation repair and construction disputes, and derailments.
In addition to his litigation practice, Michael has performed a number of corporate/solicitor related tasks for his marine and trucking clients.
This solicitor-based work has focused on risk management and contract drafting, and has included: negotiation and drafting of complex, client specific carriage and towage agreements; negotiation and drafting of multimodal transportation contracts to ship aircraft fuselages from Asia to British Columbia by sea, and the subsequent transport by truck to manufacturing and assembly facilities in Quebec; drafting of sales, warehousing and shipping contracts for both the perishable and non-perishable food and beverage industry; risk management and regulatory work for motor truck transport of hazardous cargo; preparation of standard term contracts and Bills of Lading for towboat operators, motor truck carriers and freight forwarders, and advice respecting the proper and effective use of same; negotiation and drafting of complex dock and terminal use agreements, and related carriage agreements; purchase and sale, escrow, offshore delivery and related Pleasurecraft and Yacht purchase contracts; advising on insurance issues and drafting of specific endorsements; drafting marine related insurance policy wordings; and preparation of Independent Contractor & Employee Protection Agreements for the shipbuilding industry.
- Called to the British Columbia Bar in 2003
- Past Chair of the British Columbia Maritime Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association Maritime Law and Insurance Law Sections
- Canadian Maritime Law Association
- Canadian Transport Lawyers Association
- Marine Insurance Association of British Columbia
- Past Legislative Liaison of the Marine Insurance Association of British Columbia
- British Columbia Trucking Association
- Chamber of Shipping
- BC Road Builders and Heavy Trucking Association
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in Canada from 2016 – 2022 (Maritime Law & Transportation Law)