Matthew has seven years' experience on all aspects of work health and safety, regulatory and employment law across a range of industry sectors.
His health and safety and regulatory experience includes incident response and management, officer liability, notices to produce, coronial inquests and the defence of companies prosecuted by health and safety regulators.
Matthew also advises clients on employment issues, including unfair dismissal, general protections, discrimination, harassment, bullying, enterprise bargaining, building code compliance, underpayment of wages and employment contracts.
Some of his most notable achievements include:
- Assisting with the variation of enterprise agreements for several national construction companies to ensure compliance with the 2016 Building Code;
- Assisting with the drafting of a new enterprise agreement and greenfields agreement for a national transport regulator;
- Assisting with the representation of a major stevedoring company in a four week safety prosecution in the County Court of Victoria, where the prosecution failed to obtain a guilty verdict; and
- Assisting with the representation of a major transportation company in a prosecution alleging drivers were encouraged to breach Queensland fatigue management legislation, where all charges were ultimately struck out or withdrawn on the basis that the charges were invalid.
Outside of work Matthew enjoys rugby union, water polo and surfing.
- Finalist in the Lawyers Weekly 30 Under 30 Awards (Workplace Health and Safety), 2020
- Included in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Labour and Employment Law, Occupational Health and Safety Law and Regulatory Practice, Edition: 2023