Lucy is ranked in Chambers & Partners as a leading individual in her field who is “highly praised by peers and clients and particularly renowned for her strategic advice”.
Lucy acts on behalf of a wide range of professionals, but has particular expertise in dealing with claims against accountants, insolvency practitioners, tax advisers, financial advisers, insurance brokers and mortgage intermediaries. Lucy is often instructed by insurers to defend professionals who are facing multiple claims for professional negligence.
Recently, Lucy has led the defence of over 200 mis-selling claims against a mortgage advice network arising from historic sales of interest-only mortgages. She is also advising on a large number of claims for pension mis-selling made by former members of the British Steel Pension Scheme.
In recent years, Lucy has developed particular expertise in dealing with claims against professionals relating to tax advice, tax relief and tax avoidance schemes, including Employee Benefit Trusts and other disguised remuneration schemes, and Collective Investment Schemes.
Lucy also has experience dealing with various disciplinary and regulatory matters including before the ICAEW and the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Lucy also regularly provides coverage advice. She has advised on a wide range of coverage issues, including cases where there are allegations of fraud or dishonesty.
Lucy also deals with claims against emerging professionals, including compliance consultants and project managers. She acted on behalf of the third party compliance consultant in (1) Stokors SA (2) Lucien Selce (3) Phoenicia Asset Management (Holding) SAL v IG Markets Limited;  EWHC 631 (Comm), a claim brought by a number of investors in contracts for difference following the collapse of a broker.
- Lucy is a truly excellent partner, with great attention to detail and experience. Legal 500 2021
- Lucy Tolond – technically excellent, very strategic, very robust, great with clients. Legal 500 2021
- … draws praise for her “nuanced approach” to litigation. Chambers 2020
- Lucy Tolond is adept at handling financial-related negligence claims and is known for offering coverage advice to clients. One client reports “I cannot speak more highly of her diligence, professionalism and commitment. She is a pleasure to work with and I have nothing but praise for her”. Chambers 2019
- “Clients are quick to praise her, saying: “She’s excellent – an extremely robust litigator”. Chambers 2018
- “Widely appreciated for her handling of negligence claims within the financial sector, and in particular for her knowledge of liability and policy cover. One commentator reports: “She’s extremely capable, but has good commercial common sense as well, and I think she deals with clients very well”. Chambers 2017
- Financial Services Lawyers' Association