Katherine specialises in dispute avoidance and dispute resolution. She has extensive experience acting in international arbitrations, complex litigation, adjudication and mediation on international and domestic projects.
Katherine also provides front end assistance, advising on, drafting and negotiating construction contracts, appointments, specialist subcontracts and security documents. She is familiar with all standard forms as well as bespoke EPC contracts.
She is regularly instructed on a range of matters including infrastructure, road building, hydro electric, wind farming, commercial property, waste treatment facilities, process plant, commercial and residential developments. Prior to joining DWF Katherine worked for a firm in London for 15 years, and spent time on site on international projects, providing strategic advice to clients, and working alongside local lawyers to bring and defend claims in local courts and using ADR.
- Society of Construction Law
- Adjudication Society
- National Association of Women in Construction
- Arbitral Women
- Accredited Specialist in Construction Law by the Law Society of Scotland
"Katherine Doran has a good understanding of both construction and business allowing her to provide an overall approach, rather than simply the application of the law"
"She is a very good, astute lawyer. She picks up on the relevant details...in negotiating and drafting contracts, ... I find her very good in terms of analysing disputes and dealing with specific aspects of them"
"[Katherine] is praised for her commercial acumen and ability to apply the law to technically complex situations."
"She is proactive, hard-working and business-savvy."
- Arbitration: experience in ICC Arbitrations and arbitrations conducted under Scottish Arbitration Rules on international and domestic projects.
- Litigation: acted in one of the most technically complex and high value disputes to come before the Scottish Court of Session in recent years. Also TCC, Pre-Action Protocol and pre-lit advice.
Acting for a major International Contractor on an infrastructure project in Qatar. Seconded to client and based on site. Providing strategic advice, claims support, working with local lawyers in relation to upstream and downstream disputes in the Qatari Courts and Qatari ADR channels.
- Project Support: Based on site in Middle East on distressed project providing commercial advice and claims support. Acting for offshore wind contractor - providing claims support and innovative approaches to ADR. DD on solar project portfolio.
- Adjudication: Acting for Employers, contractors, consultants, subcontractors and private clients in adjudications concerning defects, delay, disruption, tenders. Advising on Adjudication enforcement.
- DAB: Acting in proceedings before a standing DAB in disputes concerning completion and take over under FIDIC contracts.
- Transactional: Reviewing, advising on, drafting and negotiating construction contracts (NEC, FIDIC, IChemE, JCT, SBCC) and associated documentation (security, subcontracts, appointments) on a range of projects including offshore wind, solar, infrastructure, energy from waste, commercial office space, data centres, heritage/restoration, ports and terminals and marine construction.