Babita specialises in cross border M&A, new market entry, joint ventures, licensing and distribution matters as well as select regional employment, data protection and financial services regulatory engagements. She works with companies in a variety of sectors, including energy, technology, FinTech, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, hospitality and entertainment and acts for a number of publicly listed Indian entities. She also regularly supports blue chip Japanese, Singaporean, U.S., English and European corporates. Babita has extensive experience across the Asia Pacific region, having worked on matters involving Japan, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Vietnam, Nepal, Thailand and Korea.
Babita is recommended in the Legal 500 foreign firms and leading lawyer rankings for India. She is noted for her corporate and M&A work in Myanmar and is recognised by AsiaLaw Profiles in the category of energy and natural resources. She has also been listed as one of 30 people to watch in the business of law by Asia Law Portal.
- India FDI Developments: Budget 2019
- “Singapore as a Hub for Indian Investments”, India Inc. 2018.
- “Regional Developments in E-Commerce Law in Southeast Asia”, April 2018.
- "Facilitating Cross-Border Trade and Investment in the Asia-Pacific: An Interview with Babita Ambekar of Duane Morris & Selvam," Asia Law Portal, April 5, 2017.
- "Implementation of India's General Anti-Avoidance Rules," Duane Morris LLP, March 28, 2017.
- "Government of India Announces Sweeping Reforms in Foreign Direct Investment Policy," Duane Morris Alert, June 21, 2016.
- "The State of India's Industries," Storm, July 14, 2015.
- "Myanmar Insider," Storm, February 17, 2015.
Described by clients in AsiaLaw Profiles 2019 as having "Impressive handling skills." As well as being an "Excellent negotiator too, and in spotting legal issues."
Babita is described as having the “ability to think ‘out of the box’ and her varied approaches towards achieving what we want as a client are valuable. Her advice on legal perspectives comes in useful to protect our legal interests and yet achieve our commercial objectives.” - Ron Tan, Executive Chairman and Group CEO, Cityneon Holdings Limited.
Babita has also been described as "Responsive, knowledgeable and solution-oriented".