Antony also specialises in banking disputes and international arbitration across many different industries and has built up a top tier reputation for his work for (re)insurance carriers in Bermuda.
Antony advises clients on all types of insurance and reinsurance contracts, including energy risks, property and business interruption, general and professional liability, subrogation issues, D&O, E&O and financial lines coverage.
His reinsurance dispute experience includes handling matters following large market losses, such as COVID-19, California Wildfires, Deepwater Horizon, Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita as well as major energy plant explosions and MtBE exposures. These matters have involved traditional facultative and treaty reinsurance as well as ILWs and collateralised contracts.
He is experienced in international arbitration, both ad hoc and in accordance with various rules, including UNCITRAL, ARIAS, ICSID and LCIA. He has a lot of experience in cross-border disputes and in presenting foreign legal issues to tribunals in England and elsewhere.
Antony is consistently recognised by the various directories. Chambers & Partners have stated that Antony is admired for being 'capable of thinking outside the box' in his handling of Bermuda Form matters and cross-border disputes. They also refer to him as 'experienced in marine and energy cases'. Also "He is meticulous and does a really good job."
Legal 500 say ‘Antony Woodhouse is market savvy with extensive knowledge and considerable expertise in insurance and reinsurance law. Always gives well-defined advice without unnecessary equivocation.’ and ‘Antony Woodhouse is a pleasure to work with. He brings an intelligent strategic focus to a case, and works together with the client as an integral part of a legal team.’
Examples of work
- representing several London market insurers in a dispute relating to Cyber Insurance claims under a Binding Authority
- representing a Bermuda carrier through a virtual arbitration relating to D&O coverage for Securities Class Actions relating to the development of an NSAID
- advising on wordings, including the development of a composite commercial policy, healthcare liability and property and business interruption coverage
- advising on the impact of sanctions in relation to energy (re)insurance
- advising a Lloyd's syndicate on foreign and UK proceedings brought in relation to reinsurance commutations
- assisting several European banks in handling their exposure to the Lehman-backed Dante programme of credit linked notes, which entailed settling Commercial Court proceeding
- representing a large excess insurance carrier through an international arbitration due to coverage for D&O liability deriving from energy price fixing allegations in California.