Alexander is a highly sought after expert in matters involving public funding. He draws upon many years' experience working as a Senior Solicitor for the Government Legal Department when providing specialist advice to his public and private sector clients.
One of the best Subsidy Control lawyers in the country, Alexander has advised upon the compliance of many nationally significant projects including gigafactories, airports and energy infrastructure. He has acted as an expert witness to the House of Commons Select Committee on the setting up of a statutory Subsidy Control regime. He is author of LexisNexis PSL's Subsidy Control Practice Note for Lawyers.
Alexander advises on all aspects of public funding, including the drafting of grant funding agreements, the setting up of new funding programmes and handling challenges to the compliance of funding. In doing so, he brings to bear his experience of advising on the day to day running of seven national funding programmes.
He is a high profile legal commentator, with his views on Subsidy Control, Levelling Up and public funding being reported in the Financial Times, Le Monde, the Economist and on the BBC website. He has also recently appeared on Sky News and the BBC Today programme talking about Brexit and written an article for the Telegraph. He has also written national guidance for the Gov.uk website, contributed to a leading academic textbook on State aid and been on the Board of Editors of an academic journal.
Alexander has an excellent reputation for providing lively and informative interactive training sessions on legal issues. This includes over 30 sessions on the new Subsidy Control rules for Government Departments, Mayoral Combined Authorities, Local Authorities and private sector businesses. He has previously spoken at the State aid law experts' conference (ESTALI) and on financial instruments at the European Parliament.
Alexander has been recognised as a 'Rising Star' in the Legal 500 Directory and clients appreciate his proactive attitude and pragmatic advice.
- Board – UK State aid law association (UKSALA)
“DWF are simply the best Subsidy Control and State aid practice outside the City of London. They have unrivalled experience acting for applicants for subsidy and subsidy granting bodies, right across the board, large and small. They have also acted in a number of court cases for and against subsidy awarding bodies”
- The Durham Company Ltd (trading as Max Recycle) (claimant/appellant) v Durham County Council.  EWHC 3200 (Ch)
- How the United Kingdom can create a better Subsidy Control system
- How the Subsidy Control Bill can accelerate the UK's 'Green Industrial Revolution'
- Subsidy Control Transparency Guidance
- The UK Shared Prosperity Fund FAQs
- DWF Director calls for targeted investments in the North
- State aid law: FAQs
- A little bit of EU red tape is stopping firms getting the cash they need
- Challenges ahead for State aid to airports and airlines
- Will Levelling Up meet voter priorities?
- Government launches the Life Sciences Innovative Manufacturing Fund