Alexander is a highly sought after expert in matters involving public funding. He regularly advises upon State aid law, setting up grant programmes and other high profile public sector initiatives.
His clients include Government Departments, Local Authorities, Universities, multi-national companies and other organisations looking to safely use public funds to achieve their objectives.
In advising his clients, Alexander is able to draw upon an exceptional range of experience, including acting as the Senior Solicitor for numerous national grant programmes during his seven years in the Government Legal Department and working within the European Commission upon State aid legislation. This inside experience of how funding programmes work allows him to identify potential issues early on and provide clear advice on how best to address these.
Career highlights include overturning recovery orders against UK projects by appearing in front of the European Court of Auditors in Luxembourg, advising upon the setting up of five ERDF backed financial instruments worth over £1 billion and working on an inward investment project which helped secure the UK's first electric vehicle battery plant. He also advised the Northern Powerhouse Minister on regeneration initiatives and worked on the design of the new UK Shared Prosperity Fund.
Alexander has built an international profile for his EU law work, having spoken in the European Parliament on Financial Instrument compliance, written national guidance on Public Procurement and contributed to a leading textbook on State Aid. He has provided expert opinion in recent articles on State aid law and the UK Subsidy Control regime which have been published in the Financial Times, the Economist and the Telegraph, as well as having been interviewed by the BBC Radio 4's Today programme on the subject.
Recognised as a 'Rising Star' in the Legal 500 Directory, clients appreciate his proactive attitude and pragmatic advice.
- Board of Editors – European Structural and Investment Funds Journal
- Funding Decision Board – North East R&D Collaborative Projects Fund
- How state aid issues can arise in public sector rent deferrals and other commercial property transactions
- Project Birch: UK Government set to announce rescue deal with Tata Steel
- State aid law: FAQs
- Challenges ahead for State aid to airports and airlines
- A little bit of EU red tape is stopping firms getting the cash they need
- DWF Regeneration lawyer calls for Government to fastrack the UK Shared Prosperity Fund
- Boris Johnson's speech: What's next for State Aid and Competition?
- The UK Shared Prosperity Fund FAQs
- Government increases Future High Streets Fund to £1 billion, benefiting a further 50 town centres
- House of Lords Select Committee: Brexit: Competition and State Aid