Ben leads DWF's Australian Banking & Financial Services Group, as well as managing a number of institutional relationships in the financial services, property and funds sectors.
Ben works closely with DWF's Connected Services division and various institutional clients on a range of consultative services, and technology, process improvement and strategic partnering initiatives.
As debt advisers, Ben and his team focus on leveraged, property and asset finance, advising on cross border and domestic corporate and acquisition financing transactions across many industries and sectors. Specific expertise includes: linked bilateral, club and syndicated financings, senior and mezzanine finance; debt advisory and tenders (including pre-mandate documentation, terms sheets and commitment letters); IPO financings; construction and development finance; strategic debt investments, debt restructurings and recapitalisations.
Ben and his team are particularly active in the mid-market space. They advise a number of major Asia Pac market participants on property and asset financings, and are market leaders on alternative capital and emergency bridging and special situation finance.
Ben has extensive international experience, having worked for several years with Ashurst (London and Singapore) and DLA Piper (London).
Ben is married with three children and is a keen ocean swimmer and surfer. Other key interests include the family farms on the mid north coast of NSW, where he and his family produce organic fruit and vegetables, grass fed beef and Australian hardwood timber.
- Included in the Best Lawyers Australia list for Banking and Finance Law, 2014 - 2021
- Included in the Best Lawyers Australia list for Structured Finance Law, 2020 - 2021
- Ben and his team were finalists in the 2019 Australian Law Awards for Banking and Finance Team of the Year
- Recommended by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific for Banking & Finance, 2017 & 2018
- Property Council of Australia
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Property Funds Association
- Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Association Limited
PublicationsBen co-wrote the debt chapter of the Australian Private Equity Handook published by CCH Australia in 2012.
- "We've worked with Ben and his team on a number of transactions recently and the feedback from all parties (lenders, borrowers and advisers) has been superb. They’re commercial, easy to deal with, resolve issues quickly and get things done." - Bill Moskovich, Stamford Capital
- "I have been using Ben and his wider banking and finance team for facility documentation for at least 15 years and find them to be the top of the market in terms of service delivery, commerciality and advice." Martin Kennedy, BOQ Business
- “We have dealt with Ben, Adam and the team over a number of years and can confidently recommend the quality of their services. They have an in-depth understanding of the full breadth of financing products and markets and deliver a well-managed legal solution. Their approach remains practical and customer-focused, ensuring expectations are understood and managed and outcomes are delivered as closely aligned to estimates as possible. They have the connections and partnerships that assist us in achieving our goals and support our client’s needs.” Simon Beissel, Head of Corporate & Acquisition Finance, Investec
- “They never fail to impress with their ability to provide the highest quality advice in a timely manner, with a refreshing dose of commercial reality. Their ability to manage negotiations and communicate with our clients and opposing lawyers has assisted in getting several difficult situations resolved quickly and efficiently. What they say, they do." Peter Nicholson, Confide Capital
- “Ben and his team recently advised us, delivering cost and process certainty on a very complex transaction, significantly enhancing our relationship with the customer at the same time, as addressing all key risks and structuring issues. They were easy to do business with, giving high quality advice and communicated with our clients and their lawyers very effectively, resolving issues quickly and efficiently.” Chris Foote, Westpac Institutional Bank
- “High level of Industry knowledge, and…commercial approach…blessed with a strong work ethic and can do attitude.” Legal 500
- “Ben goes above and beyond to meet our requirements and time frames,” remarks one client while another calls him “approachable and a good negotiator.” One client also says: “I have worked with Ben over the past few years and found that he is able to find solutions to issues.” AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers