Tajinder is an international lawyer with a vast amount of experience in advising national and international corporates and HNW individuals across Europe, the Middle East and the Caribbean subject to the UK Tax regime for both direct and indirect taxes. He has a particular interest in representing those who are accused of the usage of tax avoidance schemes or fraud to reduce tax liabilities.
Tajinder understands the impact of tax investigations and disputes on business operations and on individuals, and provides comprehensive and holistic advice to reduce the risk of litigation for clients. He often represents clients who are subject of multiple proceedings from Account Freezing/Restraint Order Orders, COP 8/9 investigations, through to appeals before the First Tier Tax Tribunal, Directors Disqualification and proceedings under the Insolvency Act 1986.
Tajinder is able to bring in support from specialists within our White Collar Crime and Insolvency teams to ensure clients have access to the expertise they require. Tajinder has also advised and represented clients accused of some of the largest criminal and civil Tax frauds in the country ranging from VAT, Excise Duty, Income Tax, National Insurance, CIS, through to Stamp Duty Land Tax and Landfill Tax. He also represents national and international importers and exporters of goods on all aspects of their interactions with UK Border Force.
Tajinder provides clear, concise and robust advice and representation to his clients at all times.
"Tajinder Barring is a consummate professional and a credit to his craft. With a keen eye and ear for detail. I would definitely consider using his services again should the need arise. In fact, he'd be the first person I'd think to call upon." - Company Director
"The encouragement and support you have shown me was immeasurable. You worked tirelessly to ensure the best possible outcome on my behalf, and I can't thank you enough. I know you have a lot of clients, so your prompt responses and attention to detail really meant a lot to me, you have talked through everything with me no matter how big or small with the same passion throughout. I cannot thank you enough for your assistance. Your legal expertise, and knowledge which went above and beyond my expectations throughout this whole ordeal." - Company Director
"Tajinder is tenacious and thorough, leaving no stone unturned to ensure the best outcome. Aside from his professionalism, I was also impressed by his empathy and patience. He is always ready to answer questions and provide detailed explanation so we always understood what was going on with our case. I have no hesitation in recommending him." - Company Director
“Tajinder Barring’s knowledge and expertise in tax fraud for over a decade has ensured that he is one of the stand out names in this area. As a leader in his field, Tajinder’s astute tactical awareness and client focused approach ensures that his clients’ interests are always superbly advanced resulting in them achieving the best possible results.” - Gerrard Hillman, Barrister
- Advising and representing a shareholder of a national recycling company in a £174 million Landfill Tax dispute with HMRC.
- Advising and representing a company and director in a multimillion pound Kittel VAT, Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) and Gross Payment Status (GPS) dispute with HMRC.
- Advising and representing co-directors of multiple payroll companies in a £9 million payroll and VAT dispute with HMRC.
- Advising and representing a European-based company with multiple seizures of goods totalling £1.2 million and Excise Duty dispute.
- Advising and representing one of the largest bonded warehouses in Europe in a dispute with UK Border Force over the legality of their seizures and Excise Duty drawback.
- Advising and representing an accountant in a £36 million payroll dispute with HMRC.
- Advising and representing co-directors of an employment agency for proceedings under the Insolvency Act 1986, the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986, Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) and Gross Payment Status (GPS) dispute with HMRC.
- Advising and representing a company director of a multimillion pound turnover alcohol wholesaler subject of a COP 9 enquiry into the company VAT and Excise Duty affairs.
- Advising and representing a Dubai-based HNW individual to settle a £1.7 million under declaration of tax and negotiation of a time to pay agreement with HMRC.
- Advising and representing alcohol wholesalers in making applications under the Alcohol Wholesale Registration Scheme (AWRS) and the Warehouse keepers and Owners of Warehoused Goods Regulations (WOWGR).
- Advising and representing a company director of a £12 million per year turnover export business subject of a VAT reclaim dispute with HMRC.
- Advising and representing an accountancy practice alleged of marketing tax avoidance schemes.
- Advising and representing a large regional brewery in a multimillion pound Excise Duty dispute.
- Advising and representing a company and director in a multimillion pound VAT retail export scheme to China.
- Advising and representing an international import/export business in a Case Stated Appeal by HMRC.
- Advising and representing an Italian winery in a multimillion pound Excise Duty Assessment and Judicial Review with HMRC.
- Advising and representing a national wholesale business in a Judicial Review with HMRC.
- Advising and representing an international online retailer in making an application under the Alcohol Wholesale Registration Scheme (AWRS) and setting in place a HMRC compliant due diligence policy.
- Advising and representing an international hedge fund in a multimillion pound VAT dispute with HMRC, advising and representing the director for proceedings under the Insolvency Act 1986 and the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986.