Prior to his role at DWF, Matt was a corporate banker at a UK bank and was responsible for the design and execution of balance sheet deleveraging activities and regulatory capital solutions, and latterly the commercial lead for loan distribution.
Matt has acted on some of Europe's largest NPE/NPL transactions (buy and sell side) in both a commercial and legal capacity to an aggregate gross book value in excess of £50bn. These transactions include the strategic withdrawal by a UK bank from Ireland, Portugal and Spain and the first ever Cypriot NPE loan portfolio sale.
Matt has represented many other UK banks across a wide range of asset class disposals (in both debt and equity), driven by deleveraging and regulatory capital considerations, such as shipping, CRE, infrastructure and corporate lending.
- Acting for a UK challenger bank in relation to a £300m originate to distribute structured finance transaction in relation to RLS.
Prior to DWF appointment:
- Acting for a UK bank in relation to the sale of: i) A £5bn portfolio of commercial loans and other products situated in Ireland and Northern Ireland. ii) A €4.7bn portfolio of mixed commercial assets situated in Ireland. iii) Various exits of high profile/high value single name debt exposures in the secondary loan market
- Acting for a Cypriot bank in relation the first Cypriot NPE sale to Apollo with a gross book value of €2.7bn.
- Acting for a US debt fund in relation to the acquisition of a £1bn Greek real estate loan portfolio.
- Acting for a UK bank on the disposal of a £3bn portfolio of shipping loans and derivative products.
- Acting for a loan servicer in relation to the development of its "go to market" suite of loan servicing documentation.
- Various market participants (investment banks, funds, insurers) in relation to secondary loan trading (both par and distressed).