Abdullah has represented creditors and borrowers in a wide range of finance transactions, including both conventional and Islamic finance. He has been involved in project finance transactions, syndicated loan transactions, sukuk issuances and bond issuances across the GCC region. More recently, Abdullah has advised private equity companies on Shari'a compliant venture capital financing transactions.
Abdullah has also developed an expertise in derivative transactions, where he has advised both international and regional clients on how to document and execute derivative transactions using International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) documentation.
In addition to his finance work, Abdullah has advised clients on Kuwaiti capital markets laws and regulations, including listing and delisting rules of the Kuwait Stock Exchange, disclosure requirements, ongoing compliance and corporate governance, and the marketing of securities in Kuwait. He also advises regional and international clients on various legal issues of a corporate and commercial nature, including corporate governance, due diligence exercises and corporate restructuring related matters.
State of New York
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Advised Warba Bank in its capacity as issuer, in a US$250 million Tier 1 Sukuk issuance;
- Acted as Kuwait counsel for the National Bank of Kuwait in a syndicated financing in an amount of US$850 Million for Limak Insaat with respect to the construction of the new terminal at the Kuwait International Airport;
- Advised Meraas Holding and Meraas Leisure and Entertainment in a AED 1.2 Billion (US$330 Million) convertible bond financing transaction with DXB Entertainments;
- Advised the Commercial Bank of Kuwait in an KD 83.3 Million (US$274 Million) cash and non-cash financing of the New Maternity Hospital project in Kuwait;
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank and a syndicate of lenders to Alabbar Enterprises in connection with the financing of the US$2.4 billion acquisition of Kuwait Food Company (Americana);
- Advised Kuwait International Bank in a US$320 Million syndicated Murabaha financing;
- Advised Boubyan Bank in its US$250 Million sukuk issuance (recognized as “Debt & Equity Deal of the Year 2016” by the International Financial Law Review);
- Advised Warba Bank in an Islamic compliant transaction in connection with its acquisition of USD$66 Million auto finance portfolio;
- Acted as Kuwait counsel for Goshawk Aviation, a joint venture between Investec Bank and Chow Tai Fook Enterprises, in an agreement to acquire the fleet of 15 Airbus A320s for US$507 Million from Jazeera Airways;
- Represented a consortium of local banks on a restricting of US$120 Million debt with Al Mal Investment Company using both a debt for asset swap and a debt for equity swap;
- Represented KFH Capital and KISP Ventures in several private equity financing transactions;
- Represented various regional and international banks in ISDA and GMRA transactions;
- Acted as Kuwait counsel to NBK Capital Mezzanine in a US$23 Million mezzanine finance related to a leveraged buy-out by a Dubai based entity of a well-known Kuwait food & beverage company;
- Represented Commercial Bank of Kuwait in a syndicated loan financing transaction for Mohammed Al-Kharafi & Sons with respect to a major contract with the Kuwait Amiri Diwan valued at KD 365 Million (US$ 1.2 Billion) for the construction of New Jahra Hospital in Kuwait; and
- Represented National Bank of Kuwait on a US$200 Million financing (including both credit instruments and cash facilities) of submersible oil pumping stations for Al Khorayef Group Company.