Simon has more than twenty five years of continuous experience specialising in intellectual property law and, in particular, patent law (advisory, prosecution & litigation).
Simon has a Doctorate in International Intellectual Property Law (thesis financed by the French Ministry for Research and Technologies, entitled “The conflict of laws relating to Intellectual Property – Principles and Solutions of French and conventional Private International Law”. His doctorate was awarded with distinction, Summa Cum Laude.
Simon has gained expertise in various fields of intellectual property law, in particular those relating to utility – including SEPs – and design patents, copyrights, trade marks, trade secrets as well as competition law (unfair, abusive and parasitic competition) and litigation, arbitration and enforcement:
- Patent/IP due diligences, search on the prior art, legal opinions, FTO studies, collecting evidence etc.
- Patent/IP restoration before the French (INPI) and European (EPO, EUIPO) Patent Offices as well as French courts holding jurisdiction over IP matters
- Professional liability claims involving irretrievable or highly detrimental loss of patent rights
- Patent/IP annulment claims before courts and IP Offices
- Inventions/works authorship recognition and property claims
- Patent/IP pre-litigation procedures (enforcement, negociation, settlement)
- Patent/IP contracts (licences including FRAND licences, R&D partnerships, distribution and franchise contracts, etc.), enforcement and litigation/arbitration
- Patent/IP infringement claims before courts in particular the Paris tribunal and Court of Appeal
- Enforcement of Patent/IP judgments and arbitral awards before the Paris court of Appeal
- Associated member of CUERPI, UPMF team.
- Teacher in intellectual property law for the master DJCE of Cergy Pontoise University
- "Is there a "period of lawlessness" to act in patent infringement", Propriété Industrielle, (LexisNexis) n°3, March 2017
- "The arbitrability of the patents' validity litigation in Switzerland", Propriété Industrielle, (LexisNexis) n°6, June 2017
Recent casesSimon represented and assisted successfully Labotatoires Genevrier (IBSA Group) related to IBSA Institut Biochimique SA, major French and Swiss pharmaceutical companies against the italien company Pfizer Italia S.r.L in a legal dispute regarding the validity and annulment of an European patent in Italy, Germany and France, concerning a medication for the prevention of mortality, in particular sudden deatrh of patients having experienced a myocardial infarction.
Simon is ranked ‘IP Star’ for France, in the ‘Strategy & Counselling’ and ‘Litigation’ areas of practice, in the ‘Patent’ section of the 2016, 2017 and 2018 editions and the ‘Trade mark and Copyright’ section of the 2017 edition “IP Stars Handbook” from the monthly magazine Managing Intellectual Property MIP.
Simon is cited in patent litigation especially in the field of pharmacy and electronics in the column ‘Intellectual Property - Patent’ of the 2016 edition of The Legal 500 Paris.
He is also cited in the ‘Best Law Firms: Patent litigation’ classification of Decideurs, Collection guide-directory – Innovation, technology & Intellectual Property.
Simon was ranked by Leaders League as ‘Recommended’ in 2009 and ‘Highly recommended’ in 2012 and 2014.