Ben's work comprises a mixture of international and domestic litigation and arbitration, and his practice spans disputes arising from commercial fraud, contract law, banking and finance, corporate and shareholder matters and IT contracts. He works across numerous sectors, including IT and telecoms, energy and natural resources, financial services, aerospace, engineering, road transport and logistics, retail, healthcare and food and hospitality.
He has substantial experience of various dispute resolution processes and has worked on disputes in the English High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court as well as in arbitrations under various institutional rules (most commonly the LCIA). He also has experience of working on applications for interim relief, such as freezing injunctions and security for costs.
Ben is an expert on the application of the Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993, with a leading legal directory stating that "Ben Griffin is noted for his expertise in commercial agency disputes, and he has "a deep knowledge and understanding of the case law in this field." Ben has co-authored a textbook on commercial agency with Oliver Segal QC (‘Commercial Agency – A Practical and Legal Guide’ by Oliver Segal QC & Ben Griffin – Law Brief Publishing).
- $500 million fraud LCIA arbitration between two CIS parties.
- $250m dispute in the LCIA between former Soviet and Cypriot entities.
- $100 million Commercial Court Yukos-related shareholders dispute between two bankers.
- $50m CIS-related LCIA arbitration regarding the sale of shares in a jointly owned, high-value business.
- High value LCIA breach of contract/fraud dispute between high net worth individuals from the CIS.
- c.€25m breach of contract and commercial agents dispute with proceedings in Belgium and London, including defeating the defendant's challenge to the English court's jurisdiction and successfully acting for the claimant in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
- £26m High Court claim in respect of alleged loans made by a BVI company to a Russian individual which involved allegations of fraud.
- c.£8m LCIA arbitration regarding a share purchase agreement.
- A dispute between Ukrainian parties regarding a high-value asset.
- Acting for the shareholders and directors of a listed Russian mining company worth $400m in the defence of an unfair prejudice petition and application for an interim injunction in the High Court.
- £12m claim brought by a major energy company against an electricity and gas supplier.
- Unfair prejudice and winding up proceedings in the Guernsey High Court.
- Representing the defendants in a £2.2m procurement fraud claim including successfully discharging a freezing injunction.
- Acting for an English respondent to arbitration proceedings brought by a US distributor in America under the rules of the American Arbitration Association.
- Acting for a UK-based agency company specialising in highly technical electronic products used in the aerospace industry against a US-based global corporation in a commercial agency claim.
- A multi-million pound claim in the aerospace sector involving a US-based principal.
- A £1.5m commercial agency claim in the energy sector.
- Advising a major bank on the impact of a freezing injunction freezing a commercial customer's accounts.
- Acting for a UK-based drainage company in a claim against a former shareholder including obtaining an injunction in respect of a business critical issue.
- Acting for the directors of an English company in the defence of a £1.4m derivative action.
- Advising a major sportswear manufacturer on its relationship with a European agency business.
- Acting for a major biscuits manufacturer in a claim brought by an agent.
- Acting for an agent in the fashion sector in claims against a principal based in Hong Kong and New York.
- Acting for a UK-based steel exporter in its dispute with a German company.
- "Ben Griffin has impressive legal knowledge is incredibly hard-working and has a good feel for where a case will go." Legal 500 2022
- "Ben Griffin: one of the most thoughtful lawyers I have ever met. Extremely to the point. He is the engine and the clock of the team." Legal 500 2022
- "Ben Griffin – conscientious, user-friendly, always available, responsive, and very thorough." Legal 500 2022
- "Ben Griffin has a growing reputation for his commercial litigation practice" Chambers & Partners 2022
- "He has a good legal mind and is ridiculously hard-working and capable of thinking creatively. He's a joy to work with." Chambers & Partners 2022
- "Ben adds real value to any dispute," says a source, adding: "He is very committed to his clients, commercial in his approach, very thorough and strong on the law." Chambers & Partners 2021.
- "sharp and smart litigator" Legal 500 2021
- "Ben Griffin is focused, easy to work with and has excellent judgment as to where to focus on in a case." Legal 500 2021.