DWF has a core team for class action representation that has an extensive record of advising and successfully acting for defendant corporations and/or their insurers in some of the most high profile class actions to date, both pre-action and through the High Courts, often concerning hundreds of thousands or potential and actual claimants.
Our dispute resolution capabilities are strategically aligned to the exacting requirements and challenges that these claims often bring. We are unique in being able to manage the entire class action process globally, from early resolution to successfully defending claims to the Supreme Court. Led by our team of litigators and supported by Connected Services and Mindcrest we are able to deliver efficiencies, automation and scale to significant advantage in managing the volume claims process and provision of legal services, delivering exceptional results.
A number of factors are contributing to a rise in class action activity, particularly across Europe:
- An increasingly challenging economic climate is causing an increase in litigation
- Improvements in technology and better access to funding means that group actions have become more attractive to claimants.
- In the UK, there has been a significant increase in "class action specialist" law firms, some of which have the benefit of overseas investment to promote and advertise claims about which potential claimants might otherwise have been unaware. These specialist firms also have the resources to pursue claims for large volumes of claimants.
- Class action activity is increasing in Europe as opt-out mechanisms become more widely available. EU member states are implementing the EU’s Representative Action Directive, a legal framework for consumer representative actions, by the end of 2022.
- ESG and its associated compliance requirements is driving a growing number of class action cases as investors, consumers, and employees are increasingly looking beyond bottom-lines and assessing what businesses are doing to address climate change, tackle human rights abuse and improve diversity.
We have advised on some of the biggest cases, in multiple jurisdictions and across multiple sectors.