What is a cookie?
Session and persistent cookies
Browser cookies come in two different types: "session" and "persistent."
- Session cookies are temporary and are deleted when the browser is closed. These cookies allow us to monitor your activities during a browser session. A browser session starts when you open the browser window and finishes when you close the browser window. Session Cookies are temporary. Once you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted.
- Persistent cookies are designed to store data for an extended period of time, and they are activated each time that you visit the website that created that particular cookie. Each persistent cookie is created with an expiration date, which may be anywhere from a few days to several years in the future. Once the expiration date is reached, the cookie is automatically deleted. Persistent cookies are what allow websites to "remember you".
DWF utilises a mixture of session and persistent cookies. Information on both types is found within this Policy along with advice and guidance about how to set your preferences when using this websites and how to delete/remove and deactivate cookies on your web browser.
First and third-party cookies
Whether a cookie is 'first' or 'third' party is determined by the domain placing the cookie. First-party cookies are those set by a website that is being visited by the user at the time.
Third-party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than that of the website being visited by the user. If a user visits a website and another entity sets a cookie through that website, this would be a third-party cookie, for example, Google analytics.
Want to know more about cookies?
Useful information about cookies can be found at: http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
What cookies do we use and why?
The cookies used on our website generally fall into the 5 categories below. The cookies we utilise do change from time to time and we are committed to ensuring you are provided with the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding which cookies we use at all times. You will therefore find details of all current cookies we utilise on our website within our cookies information and preference centre.
Strictly necessary cookies:
'Strictly necessary' cookies let you move around our website and use essential features like secure areas. Without these cookies, we cannot provide the requested services. These cookies cannot be disabled in the cookies information and control centre.
We use strictly necessary cookies:
- To identify you as being logged in to our website and to authenticate you;
- To make sure you connect to the right service on our website when we make any changes to the way it works; and
- For security purposes.
You may be able to disable these cookies from your browser (please see our "Managing Cookies in your Browser" section below for further information), however we can't guarantee how our website or the security on our website will perform during your visit if you do so. Our use of strictly necessary cookies do not require your consent.
Site experience cookies:
These cookies are used to support your experience on a website and include user-selected options, site navigation aids, etc.
Performance and operation cookies
These cookies are used in the management of a website and include customer surveys, recording visitor numbers and other web analytics.
Marketing, personalisation and advertising cookies
These cookies are used to gather information about your browsing across websites. They can be used to build a profile of search and browsing history for every visitor to that website in order to deliver personalised content to that user.
Marketing and targeted advertising cookies
These cookies are used to track browsing habits and activity. This information obtained from these cookies enables website owners to show you relevant/personalised marketing content. In using these types of cookies, websites may collect personally identifiable information about you and use this information to display targeted advertising and/or share this information with third parties for the same purpose. Any activity tracked and recorded using these cookies may therefore be shared with third parties.
When visiting our website for the first time, you will be provided with an opportunity to set your cookies preferences via our cookies . This will allow you to use the toggle bars to confirm or withdraw your consent to cookies being placed on your device in respect of each cookie category, save for strictly necessary cookies which are required to use our website.
You may access and amend your preferences at any time, by clicking on the preferences centre below.
Managing cookies in your browser
You can block cookies by adjusting your browser settings (guidance provided within the links below). Please note however that blocking cookies may mean you are not able to access all or parts of our website and may result in elements of our website performing badly.
Changing your cookie settings
Internet browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. These settings are usually found in the 'options' or 'preferences' menu of your internet browser. In order to understand these settings, the following links may be helpful. Otherwise, you should use the 'Help' option in your internet browser for more details.
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari