Alexander represents corporate and individual clients across a broad spectrum of criminal and regulatory matters. He is experienced in multi-jurisdictional investigations and matters with multi-agency involvement, including investigations conducted by the SFO, NCA, HMRC, FCA and their foreign counterparts. He has defended clients under investigation for global corruption, serious fraud, direct and indirect tax fraud and money-laundering.
Alexander also conducts and advises corporates on internal investigations and advises companies and their directors on governance issues. He helps clients to avoid financial crime risks in a wide range of scenarios, advising on compliance with financial crime legislation and the implementation of preventative measures with a particular focus on anti-bribery, money laundering and tax evasion.
Alexander has a detailed understanding of both the law and procedure relating to ancillary criminal and regulatory proceedings and has advised clients on all aspects of asset forfeiture from pre-charge restraint to post-conviction confiscation. He also has significant experience of tracing and recovering the proceeds of fraud in both civil and criminal proceedings, including cases involving emergency injunctive relief.
Alexander has notable experience in SFO-related matters having been seconded to the agency in 2016 to assist with one of the largest economic crime investigations in UK law enforcement history concerning an international energy company.
Alexander previously practiced at the independent Bar for five years. He is a highly experienced trial lawyer, having acted as a sole and led advocate in courts of first instance, appellate courts and before a variety of tribunals. This experience underpins the advice he provides and the strategies he employs on behalf of his clients.
- The Fraud Lawyers Association
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
- Representing an international engineering company in one of the first prosecutions brought under section 7 of the Bribery Act 2010.
- Representing an international haulage company in relation to condemnation proceedings arising from the alleged evasion of fuel duty.
- Representing the director of a major food producer in one of the largest fraud investigations conducted by the Food Standards Agency.
- Advising an international food producer on an internal investigation into allegations of supply-chain slavery in Africa.
- Advising a multibillion-dollar marine services company on sanctions compliance in relation to oil and gas exploration in Russia.
- Acting in one of the largest private prosecutions brought to date arising from a £25 million 'Ponzi' investment fraud based in Dubai.
- Representing the First Defendant in high-profile civil recovery proceedings concerning allegations of money laundering and conspiracy to defraud.
- Advising an individual in relation to an NCA cross-border investigation into bribery allegations concerning the award of oil contracts in Nigeria.
- Advising law enforcement agencies on the policies and procedure for the seizure, detention and restraint of crypto currency.
Ghulam & Ors. v R.  EWCA Crim 1691 – Appeal against a confiscation order on the ground of improper representation at first instance, in which the Court of Appeal gave consideration for the first time to the provisions concerning third-party interests under POCA 2002.
*Includes matters handled at DWF or prior to joining the firm.