Full ingredients listing to be required for foods prepacked for direct sale: DEFRA has published the Government response to its recent consultation on allergen labelling for foods prepacked for direct sale concluding that the best approach is to require full ingredients listing as per other prepacked foods to apply. DEFRA has indicated that the necessary statutory instrument to implement this will be laid this summer with the labelling requirement coming into fore by summer 2020. View > View > Chartered Institute of Environmental Health > Food Standards Agency >
Independent Review to develop National Food Strategy: DEFRA has announced that it has commissioned Henry Dimblebly (Leon co-founder) to investigate the entire food system, from field to fork, and consider what changes are needed to ensure that it:
- Delivers safe, healthy, affordable food, regardless of where people live or how much they earn;
- Is robust in the face of future shocks;
- Restores and enhances the natural environment for the next generation;
- Is built upon a resilient and sustainable agriculture sector;
- Is a thriving contributor to our urban and rural economies, delivering well paid jobs and supporting innovative producers and manufacturers;
- Does all of this in an efficient and cost-effective way.
His recommendations for a new National Food Strategy are set to be published in 2020.
Grocery Code Adjudicator to impose new approach to compliance on retailers: Grocery Code Adjudicator, Christine Tacon has announced that she wishes to work with the twelve retailers subject to the code to introduce a common factors approach to guide their compliance risk management activity. Christine Tacon has also indicated that she is standing down next year after seven years in post. View > View >
Are you following us on LinkedIn?
Follow our retail and food sector pages for the latest industry news, legal insights, and events so you never miss a thing.