Ambitious legislative programme set out in the Queens speech: In addition to Brexit the Government has set out a detailed legislative programme including:.
- An Environment Bill to set up an Office of Environment Protection and underpin a zero emissions target for 2050.
- Bills on building and fire safety and online harms
- Progressively increasing the national living wage
- Rates reform and increasing the retail discount from 33% to 50% and including public houses, cinemas and music venues in the discount
- Constitutional review, English devolution but ruling out a second referendum on Scottish independence and recognising the need for ‘common frameworks’ on such matters as food labelling.
Fall reported in children’s exposure to HFSS advertising by ASA: The Advertising Standards Authority has published a report covering exposure of children to advertising for gambling, alcohol and high, fat, salt and sugar foods. The report shows a fall in the level of exposure to food advertising in general and to advertising for high fat, salt and sugar foods in particular. Children saw 12.4 ads for HFSS products per week in 2016, falling to only 8 in 2018. View > Sustain >
UK EU Withdrawal Agreement Bill: The Bill which is an amended version of that introduced to the previous parliament has received its second reading. Changes to the Bill from the previous version include removal of MPs' approval role in relation to the Government’s negotiating mandate, removing enhanced Parliamentary approval process for any future relationship treaty subsequently negotiated with the EU, removal of additional procedural protections for workers’ rights and prohibiting any UK Minister from agreeing to an extension of the transition or implementation period. View > View > Regulatory Policy Committee > House of Commons > Comment: British Chambers of Commerce > BRC > DEXEU has written to the devolved administrations to seek legislative consent. View >
Are you following us on LinkedIn?
Follow our retail and food sector pages for the latest industry news, legal insights and events so you never miss a thing.