CIEH publish critical report on Primary Authority: Based on responses of 107 Environmental Health Practitioners who completed a survey, the Chartered Institute of Enivironmental Health has published a twenty page practitioners perspective on the functioning of Primary Authority. Of Environmental practitioners employed by Local Authorities responding, only 12% thought primary authority was working well in protecting consumers. The report recommends changes to the scheme in the following areas:
- make public and worker protection an explicit priority,
- provide a single point of contact for complaints about partnerships and a commitment to investigate them,
- publish guidance to ensure arrangements are in place to quality assure advice,
- regular audits of primary authorities,
- provision of accessible training on Primary Authority enforcement procedures,
- work with local authority practitioners to address their concerns about enforcement,
- evaluate the success of the post 2017 changes applying Primary Authority to businesses that don’t trade across Local Authority boundaries and extending partnership scope to all legislation enforced by the Local Authority. View >
EU Member states agree draft directive on representative actions and collective redress: The EU Council has reported on agreement of a draft Directive to permit representative actions and collective redress across the EU market. There still appear to be divergences of view as to the nature of bodies that might take such actions and their funding which have been highlighted by European business and consumer organisations. View > Business Europe > Beuc >
Are you following us on LinkedIn?
Follow our retail and food sector pages for the latest industry news, legal insights and events so you never miss a thing.