On 18 February the Environment Agency published its corporate scorecard for the second quarter of 2017/2018, outlining its performance against corporate measures.
In total there are 12 corporate measures for the EA:
- The water environment is healthier.
- The EA protect people, the environment and wildlife by reducing serious pollution incidents.
- The EA create new habitats.
- The EA reduce the number of high risk illegal waste sites.
- The EA reduce the risk of flooding for more households.
- The EA maintain our flood and coastal risk management assets at or above the target condition.
- The EA have a first class incident response capability.
- The EA manage our money efficiently to deliver our outcomes.
- The EA respond to planning applications within 21 days.
- The EA reduce our carbon footprint.
- The EA have a diverse workforce.
- The EA provide a safe place to work.
This update provides an interesting read for any businesses that encounter environmental compliance issues. Perhaps the most notable entry within the results relates to the reduction in high risk illegal waste sites; not only have they failed to meet Q2 targets but it is also predicted that this is unlikely to change by year end.
Whilst it remains to be seen how effective the waste enforcement strategy will be at addressing this target, no doubt there will be a focus on ongoing attempts to improve the position; something that will be welcomed by compliant operators across all sectors.