- Major developments in product safety: In responding to the report of an independent working group on product recalls and safety the Government has announced that an Office for Product Safety and Standards, with a £12m per annum budget initially from central funds, is to be established within the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. The new body is to provide scientific, technical and practical support to government in developing policy and to support Local Authorities in their enforcement role (akin to the Food Standards Agency for food matters). View >
- EU launches ambitious environmental strategy on plastics: The EU has launched a very detailed strategy aimed at reducing the impact of plastic waste. The aim is that all plastics packaging placed on the EU market should be reusable or recyclable in a cost-effective manner and more than half of plastics waste in general should be recyclable by 2030. View >
- 1st prosecution for failure to display food hygiene rating: Food Standards Northern Ireland has reported a £250 fine plus costs for a business with a one star rating which repeatedly refused to publically display it. View >
- EU Commission issue notice to stakeholders: The EU Commission has issued a notice to stakeholders highlighting the impact of BREXIT on EU procurement contract requirements. View >
- Brexit guidance for pharmaceutical businesses: The Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency has issued guidance for pharmaceutical companies on Brexit preparations. View >
This information is intended as a general discussion surrounding the topics covered and is for guidance purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice. DWF is not responsible for any activity undertaken based on this information.